The online video of a Marine officer attacking senior military officials over U.S. withdrawals from Afghanistan became viral , according to his lawyer.
Lieutenant Col. Stuart Scheller faces several charges in advance of Thursday’s court-martial at Camp Lejeune, North Carolina. These include conduct unbecoming an officer or gentleman, disrespect towards superior commissioned officers and willfully disobeying one of their superiors.
Timothy Parlatore (Scheller’s attorney) confirmed that Scheller would plead guilty but did not specify which charges as details are being worked out.
Scheller hopes for an honorable discharge, or general discharge under honourable conditions. Parlatore stated that the plea agreement also includes a letter warning and a letter de reprimand.
Coffee or Die Magazine or The Washington Post first reported on possible plea deals.
Scheller posted a video on social media following the August bombing that killed 13 U.S. service members and more than 100 Afghans in Kabul. He spoke in uniform and criticized the senior leaders’ handling of Afghanistan withdrawal.
” People are angry because their senior leaders let down them and no one is raising their hand and admitting that they’messed up’,” Scheller stated in the video.
He criticised Lloyd Austin, Defense Secretary, and Joint Chiefs Chairman, General Mark Milley, for closing Bagram Air Base in Afghanistan. This was the U.S. primary military base there. He also said that they did not anticipate the fall of Afghan National Security Forces.
Scheller felt he needed to speak out to demand accountability, according to Parlatore.
“Scheller would have been a hypocrite to not plead guilty. “If you want to hold others accountable, then you must be willing to take responsibility for your actions,” Parlatore said to CBS News.
In the aftermath of the video Scheller was discharged by the Marine Corps. The battalion commander of the Advanced Infantry Training Battalion was Scheller, who was based at Camp Lejeune.
Scheller was held in pre-trial confinement at the brig at Camp Lejeune for about a week, but was released earlier this month. A spokesperson for the Marine Corps Training and Education Command told CBS News that they are unable to comment on ongoing legal proceedings.
Download our Free App
Download the Free CBS News app
for breaking news and analysis