Second Gentleman Doug Emhoff was rushed out of an event at Dunbar High School in Northwest Washington, D.C., Tuesday over a bomb threat. According to Emhoff’s office and D.C. police, Emhoff was safe.
Secret Service whisked Emhoff out of the building at 2: 18 p.m., and Emhoff’s staff told reporters attending the event that the school had reported a threat to U.S. Secret Service. An announcement came over the intercom at 2: 34 p.m. asking teachers to evacuate the school, and reporters left as well. According to the second man’s office, he had been rushed out of the building due to the threat. D.C. police were on the spot.
Students, who were in fourth period at the time, assembled on the field.
D.C. Public Schools press secretary Enrique Gutierrez confirmed there had been a bomb threat and that everyone was safe.
“We had a threat today to the facility so we did — basically we took the precaution of evacuating everybody, as you saw. Everyone is safe. It is safe. Gutierrez said that he did not have details.
No device has been found; police and U.S. Secret Service are investigating.
Dunbar Principal Nadine Smith told reporters the school district directed the high school to send students home after the building was cleared.
Emhoff was visiting Dunbar High School’s Museum of Dunbar History for a Black History Month event. The school, founded in 1870, was America’s first public high school specifically for Black students.
The Secret Service did not provide reporters any more details about the incident. Kamala Harris, Vice President of the United States was not present at this event.
Harris had her own bomb scare last year. She was evacuated from the Democratic National Committee headquarters on January 6, 2021, when a pipe bomb was discovered.
This is a developing story.
Pat Milton contributed to this report.
Thanks for reading CBS NEWS.
Create your free account or log in
for more features.